Gamblin Artist Colors Winning the Artist's Environment With The Torrit Grey Competition

"Dark Matter C", Oil on Canvas, c. 2007 Princess Simpson Rashid
Colors Used-Torrit Grey, Gamblin Tit. White, Gamblin Black

Just let me just say- I didn't win the 2008 Torrit Grey Competition. I wasn't even a finalist.....this time. I'm still proud of myself (a little) because at least I didn't procrastinate and miss the entry deadline. Hey, it's a small victory but I'll take it...this time. Also, I knew that my entries would have an uphill battle because this competition seems to favor realistic work. But who knows, there's always next year.... 

You know, it's not easy being in the art business. (See Joanne Mattera's blog post entitled, "Hard Times For the Art World" ).  Even foundations and companies that once catered to supporting artists are feeling the pinch and are thus "suspending" grant awards- like the Liquitex Excellence in Arts Competition.    

So, I greatly appreciate a company like Gamblin, sticking it out with us artists....thinking outside the box and doing what it can in this trying time to encourage, motivate and produce great products for artists AND trying to protect the environment.    You know, they sent me a free tube of paint and medium with my REJECTION LETTER!  Now that a company that understands something....

OK.  Here's the skinny on the competition and the Gamblin philosophy.

The Torrit Grey Competition

If you took all the pigments in the color spectrum and mixed them together, what color would you make?

.... Rather than sending any of our high quality, expensive pigments into the landfill, Gamblin paint makers recycle them into "Gamblin Torrit Grey".
The Torrit Grey Painting Competition, conducted annually in the Fall, attracts more entries every year. In 2008, we received over 160 submissions from painters willing to take the challenge of making a value based painting using only Torrit Grey and any black or white oil paint. The competition is judged by Robert Gamblin and the winners receive a supply of Gamblin Artists' materials.

-"Pigment dust should not go into the earth, water or landfill, but into paint," says Robert Gamblin.

To learn more about the Torrit Grey Painting Competition visit the Gamblin Artists Colors website. Oh yeah, if you are an oil painter and would like to take the Torrit challenge, get the info and a free tube a paint at your local art store. The deadline for the next competition is in August 15, 2009. Don't procrastinate...and I will try to take my own advice!

*By the way, the First prize for the 2008 competition went to Chis Saper. She did a breathtakingly beautiful painting of a woman, entitled "Woman in White"

Comments

Popular Posts