What Does It Take to Be a Woman Artist?

Well, it takes alot!

Recently, I was reading Alyson B. Stanfield's ArtBizBlog and she had a post entitled, "On Being A Woman Artist". It's about a new movie entitled, "Who Does She Think She Is".

Check out the link to see the movie trailer: http://www.whodoesshethinksheis.net

I think this film hits the nail on the head. It touches on the difficulties women face when choosing to pursue their art as a career. The difficulties lie in trying to balance it all-being an artist, mother, wife, homemaker. Some women try the balancing game, some forsake having a family and just focus on their art, and some forsake their art and focus on their family.

Personally, I'm trying the balancing game. It's a hard road but I think in the end for me it will be worth it. Yes, I want my cake and eat it too. And I want my cake to taste good!

One interesting question asked in the film: Can you name a famous female artist? Suprisingly, the average person on the street couldn't.

Let see, here's a few I can name that have impacted my work and life as an artist:

Elizabeth Catlett (sculptor/printmaker), Frida Kahlo (painter), Mary Cassatt (printmaker/painter), Joan Mitchell (painter), Lee Krasner (painter), Georgia O'Keefe (painter), Alma Thomas(painter), Louise Bourgeois (sculptor), Kathe Kollwitz (printmaker).


How about you? What female artist has an affect on your life?-(This question is open to all-the artist and the art-lover.)

Comments

Popular Posts