A Tribute To John Hughes - Good Memories....

Ah.... 80's teen angst! Last Friday night at Tempus Projects, an alternative art space in Tampa, FL, I attended a  lecture given by John Hardin about films of director John Hughes. It was mad cool!

Two of Hughes films were discussed, "The Breakfast Club" (1985) and "Pretty in Pink" (1986).  It was really good to revisit them.  I was in my first two years of high school when those movies were first released. Of the two, "The Breakfast Club" is my favorite


Before this lecture by Hardin, I didn't realize that John Hughes was also responsible for "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" (1986).  Duh! Another movie that gave my little teenager mind hope that the nightmare of high school would one day be over and I would be able to live my own Life! Wow! 



Hardin shared with us a clip from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" regarding a scene that takes place in the Chicago Museum of Art. I found in on YouTube and share it here with you. Why?




Because I had a few moments like that back in the day. I found myself in New York with my best friend, Jon Martin, and we just spent time experiencing the city. It was liberating and necessary for my sanity and growth.  I remember him taking me to a sculpture park in upstate New York (I don't remember the name). But it was on that day that I convinced myself that I would someday to be an artist.

Part of growing up is about breaking the rules. The same is true when it comes to making Art.  You have to know the rules to break them...but then sometimes you do have to break them to find your true voice. I think that is especially true when you don't trust Authority figures. And as I kid, I remember that's what I got from Hughes's films. I wasn't the only one feeling an overwhelming sense of distrust for the adults in my life. 

John Hughes gave 80's teen angst a voice. He made it legitimate and by doing so he spoke to a generation. Looking back at some of those movies, I notice some corny moments but mostly the messages still resonate. It was hard to be a teenager. I almost didn't survive it. But I did. And it may sound silly to you, but in a way those movies gave me strength.

Thank you John Hughes! 
And thank you Tempus Projects and John Hardin for taking me back!

John Hughes died on August 6, 2009 of a heart attack at the age of 59. There was a very moving tribute to him at the Oscars by the all grown up cast members of some of his top movies.  Click here: John Hughes Oscar Tribute to see it. I warn you, its a little scary to see everyone all grown up.

Source Material:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hughes_%28filmmaker%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Breakfast_Club

Comments

Popular Posts