Square Highlight

On Sept. 1, 2010 the 910 square installation, "Imagination Squared", debut at MOCA-Jacksonville. Seeing all those squares in person and hung was a bit overwhelming and exhilarating at the same time.

This square (see photo below) has to one of my favorites from the installation.  Every time I look at it I get inspired.  I love that the artist used a simple everyday material..the pencil.  The three dimensional aspect is especially appealing to me. It comes out at you off the wall. Very cool!

Lately, I have been drawn to experimenting with collage and assemblage. I think that's why I am drawn to this piece by Kanika Dean. There is an element of control like when one makes a pile of something, in this case, a pile of pencil heads. Pretty cool! Trust me, it looks better in person so if you get a chance get to MOCA-Jacksonville. This square and the 900+ other ones will be on display until November 14, 2010.

Kanika Dean
Imagination Squared Creative Response Project 2010

I usually don't "get" a lot of conceptual art but I get this piece. It speaks to me. How about you?

Comments

Popular Posts